Nelson's First 108 Tennessee Whiskey
Nelson's First 108 is a tip of the hat to the history of the brand and a celebration of things to come.
Nelson's Green Brier Tennessee Whiskey was once one of the largest brands of whiskey in the world. That was until Tennessee's adoption of statewide prohibition in 1909 forced the distillery to stop production. That was 108 years ago.
To commemorate the return of our Tennessee Whiskey, we distilled a whiskey from the original recipe and mellowed it through sugar maple charcoal in the Tennessee tradition. We then filled 108, 30 gallon barrels with the whiskey and allowed them to rest for more than two years. Lastly, to round out the flavor profile, we finished the whiskey in full-sized 53 gallon barrels for a short time.
These smaller-than-normal barrels make for a rapid aging process and they produce different flavors from the standard 53 gallon barrels, which the rest of our Tennessee Whiskey is aged in. Thus, we labeled the whiskey from these limited number of barrels as its own distinct product.
Nelson's First 108 Tennessee Whiskey is available, while supplies last, at our distillery and will come in two offerings: the green label Small Batch Blend bottled at 90 proof and the Single Barrel bottled at cask strength. Both come in 375ml bottles.
Points Of Difference
- Mash bill of corn, wheat, and malted barley from the original recipe.
- Mellowed by the Lincoln County Process through Sugar Maple Charcoal.
- Aged in 30 gallon barrels and finished in 53 gallon barrels.
- Only 108 barrels produced.
- Only available at the Nelson's Green Brier Distillery.
- Nose: Caramel, candy apple, cedar, brown sugar, cinnamon, anise, Autumn afternoon
- Palate: Brown sugar, toffee, toasted graham cracker, nutmeg, cinnamon, butterscotch
- Finish: Cocoa, cinnamon, cherry, coconut